Thursday, July 2, 2009

Finding the words for the little words that leave us wordless

Caution...
There may be words that make some uncomfortable and the possibility that the words will elicit uncomfortable images if you are a visual person. I for one will never look at goldie-mexi-fries the same again.
Proceed at your own risk.


Nadia heard the word gay. She didn’t know what it meant. I am the family’s liberal-black-sheep so this should be easy right. As parents, Tony and I have a fierce desire to raise children who are tolerant, loving and respectful of ALL others. I wanted to get this right, to choose the right words.

Me: Well Nadia, gay is when two people of the same sex love each other. Do you know what sex means?
Nadia: no
Me: boy or girl. A person’s sex means if they are a boy or a girl. So if two boys love each other or two girls love each other then they are gay. What do you think about that?
Nadia: (with a slightly skewed face) that’s kinda weird.
Me (in reality): no it’s not weird really. People just love who they love. I wouldn’t want someone not to love or not to be loved.
Nadia: SO WE’RE GAY! You and me, we are gay Mom! We’re both girls and we love each other so we’re gay.
Tony: you and mommy have mommy-daughter love. This is for when people are grown up, like married-love.
Nadia: Ooohhhhhhh. So we are half-gay!

I have no words for that one. At least not right then.

On to other news…

While I was rushing around trying to get the clothes laid out for the next day and get the kids into the shower I realize that we Bacharts were not alone. I heard my brother and Cooper in the house here to pick something up. (Mind you, I was getting ready for bed. I have not worn a bra to bed since I was nineteen and I was in my pj’s. You know the kind. The ratty ones that people outside your immediate family should not see you in because they are nearly thread-bare and I thought to myself, he is your brother, but come-on! He doesn’t need to see that!) I noticed that sweet Cooper had sprung a little leak, so I was off to find some clean pants suitable for a 2 year old boy. Again, rushing around…preoccupied if you will. Aidan said, “hey Mom, see my tater-tots” as he stood buck-behind-naked in front of me. Oh yes, he was talking about those tater-tots.
Me: hmmmm, yeah I do. Where have you heard them called tater-tots?
Aidan: no where. I just made it up. Don’t they look like tater-tots?

No words for that one either.

4 comments:

Bella Mente said...

omg!! haha that made my night! i love those kids.. wow!! i am going to print that and show my mom.. hilarious!! i didnt hear about the tater tots!! :)

Bella Mente said...

wow.. i just cant get over that! haha i am still laughing.. my co workers think im crazy! lol

Anonymous said...

black sheep???? really??? You need to get out more

Anaface said...

That is one of the funniest things I have ever heard!