Monday, July 16, 2007

To be a Maxwell

Today my family was visited by Lane, Kaid, Auntie M, Grammie and just briefly by Papa. I just love my family. There is no organization. I had no idea when everyone was coming or going, but I enjoyed every single minute with them. We sat outside, we sat at the table, we watched a little tv, we listened to the kids play. At one point I walked into Aidan's room and Kaid was sitting on the top bunk teaching Aidan how to make a paper airplane. The three boys (and let me not forget Andria and her top notch Frank Lloyd Wright house) played with legos for hours. It was just comfortable. Lane and Kaid have grown so much. Yes they are taller, I just don't know how. They are more articulate, talking more like boys now not little boys. They sound older. They hug older. They say goodbye older. My sister has always joked that she tells them to stop growing up so she can have them just like they are forever, but Lane said today, "that is just the way life is". He said it with understanding. I am telling you it is just weird to see this little boy growing up. He use to fall for my stupid tricks like 'smell my feet'. He would laugh for hours when I would put lengths of toilet paper in the edge of my mouth and blow it into the air. I didn't hear one potty joke! He is serious and funny and deliberate and cute and sweet and has a touch of a smart mouth and creative and caring and understanding and empathetic and he is a Maxwell.

1 comment:

Anaface said...

As a Maxwell, I have chosen to embrace the constant state, CF. Mel, I love our time together. When the children are playing and Mom is being herself, I daydream that time will stop or slow down for a moment.