Monday, June 25, 2007

Lesson learned little man

I told myself that I wouldn't spend my blogging bragging about my children, but since they are the biggest part of my life why wouldn't I have a lot to say about them? I will undoubtedly have many posts about their achievements and amazement and I am sure about my frustrations with them and my only request is that you do not take me too seriously. What I am really asking is, what mother does not think her child is some sort of genius, or devil child for that matter, at some point in time and need to vent a little?

Yesterday, Tony, the kids and I were on our way back from our weekly trip to Costco and Aidan says, "what is 10 times 10?" This game of quizzing our math skills has been a real hoot, let me tell you. Honestly, I try to have patience for his little learning brain. I try to explain the concept of a zero for the 13th time without a tinge of annoyance in my voice. I try to not cringe when I hear counting, to 100, again, but by 2's, or 5's or yes even 10's. I try to fain some sort of enjoyment when I hear the joke, "I can count to a hundred, watch, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 100" followed by a round of giggles by him and by Nadia. I try not to groan when I think about Aidan teaching Nadia the same skills reminding me that time will push repeat in about 20 months. I try NOT to think of my own neurotic counting of steps, stairs, seconds or even ceiling tiles. But this time when Tony and I pretended not to hear him, (yes the guilt rages on), and there is 30 seconds of quiet (because I was probably counting myself) followed by, "it's 100!" I did not have to pretend to be interested or pleased or proud. Poor Aidan, again the teacher not just a student. This little math hurdle was followed by my own question.
"how did you know that?"
"I counted"
Lesson learned, Aidan. I will be interested, pleased and proud of the steps along the way.

No comments: